01 September 2007

1948 Triumph 1800 Roadster

At the funeral home, the room where my father's body was kept for us to view was accessed by passing through a garage. In the garage were two classic cars, carefully covered with tarps. One of them was a 1948 Triumph 1800 Roadster. When he noticed me peeking under the cover, the funeral home director pulled the cover back so that we could see the car.

The car was originally owned by someone who lived in Bloomington. My father worked at the imported car dealership in Bloomington and most likely worked on that very car...

We thought it was strangely comforting and totally appropriate that dad was being kept company by this wonderful old car that he had most likely touched 50 or so years ago.

Just so you know what a 1948 Triumph 1800 Roadster looks like, here is one. The one in the funeral home is dark brown, I think, with black fenders. It is perfect.

So are my memories of my father.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this time is hard. I only wish I could bear for you, some of the grief. I wish I weren't so many miles away. I wish you strength if you get weary. I wish you and your family, peace in every sense. I wish you love and sweet memories to fill your heart.

Maddy